BLOG PODCAST ARCHIVES LINKS

 

 

 

 

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

American Conservative Web Ring
Members List
Previous - Next
Random - Join
Previous 5 - Next 5

Site Meter

 

 

 

Powered by Blogger

 

Monday, March 20, 2006

A Hit Close to Home

Just days ago a soldier from Iraq died. His name was Sgt. Corey Dan. You may be wondering why I am bringing up one particular death, well this one hit me close to home. You see, Dan only lived one town away from me, in Norway Maine. He went to the same school and had the same teachers. I never met the guy, but people I know, have. It's just incredibly tragic. Any death is tragic, and I especially hate to see people die in a war. It only gets worse when it gets this close though. I wish that was it, in fact I wish this never happened, but this story only gets more and more heartwrentching. When Sgt. Corey Dan left for Iraq, he was gone before he could see his newborn son. Now he can never see his son, and the child will go through his life without a Father. But it's not just his family who are agonized. His friends are just as heartbroken. He's had friends and best-friends that have gone back probably more than ten years, now they have no Dan, they just have tears. Usually I am the last person to get emotional in any form, but with this I just can't look at him like he's no more than a number. It's a tragedy. I think you all know where I stand on the war in Iraq, and I'll have you know that to me, this story isn't about the war. I won't use it as a success/failure scale, as some would. To me, this is just an incredibly sad story, and yes I will recognize him as a person instead of a number because I'm Conservative, not heartless. I see death as a tragedy, and I won't ignore it just to make the war look like something it's not. Yes, I agree with the war, but it's not lollypops and singing birds. People are dying there, and you can't deny it. Agreeing or disagreeing with the war is irrelevant, everyone should remember those who died.

This death was bad enough for me to hear, unfortunately it again gets worse. This Saturday at my school there is going to be a memorial service for Sgt. Corey Dan, and some of the biggest scumbags are going to show up. A small group of Christian radicals are going to show up at the memorial to preform a little protest. They apparantly go to a lot of funerals of killed soldiers to make the point that they are glad soldiers are dying in Iraq. Why, I don't know. I could go to their website, which is something disgusting like godhatesfags.com, but I don't even feel comfortable going there.

This is just disgusting. Families and friends of this fallen soldier are in agony, and all they want is a peaceful memorial where they can remember Corey, but they can't even have that. Instead, these "Christian" scumbags have to disrupt the memorial with signs saying how they are glad he died. Christian my ass. These guys are as Christian as much as Muslim terrorists are Muslim. They just want to justify their doings in the name of God. Well, I hope these little punk bastards burn in hell. And that's certainly not where Dan is going, as they claim. Dan is in a better place. When these people die they will go straight to hell, right next to where the terrorists land who suicide bombed in hopes of 72 virgins. You have no idea how angry these people have made me. My ears are burning red as I type. This is just outragous. But what do I do, have a counter-protest? No. I'm not going to politicize a funeral, no matter which side I'm on. I'll go to the memorial, and I'll remember Corey Dan. I won't just watch these bastards ruin the memorial though, I just won't be holding up a sign or chanting a slogan. If anything I will flip them the bird, or tell them, the only people God really hate are people like you.
But I won't disturb the memorial, that would be a dishonor, because the real reason for it is only to remember Sgt. Corey Dan.

12 Comments:

  • At 20/3/06 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I heard this too. I was gonna tell you about the scumbag protesters tommorow at school but you seem to have hit on it already. Sucks that they have to foul up our community. But I don't want to politicize this very much or at all, so I didn't post on it.

     
  • At 20/3/06 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    (I'm not saying that you are by the way, I just meant that some people who comment might.)

     
  • At 20/3/06 10:50 PM, Blogger Allisoni Balloni said…

    As of very recently, it illegal in Wisconsin to protest at funerals. Sad times when legislation has to be written to control something like this.

     
  • At 20/3/06 11:05 PM, Blogger Allisoni Balloni said…

    P.S.
    I think that all of those protesters should be punched in the face. I'll volunteer to do it. I hate the "f" word, and as stupid as some people think it is, that web site is a good example of why.

     
  • At 21/3/06 9:30 AM, Blogger The Prophet Dervish Z Sanders said…

    What website are you talking about?

    You are right, this is a tragedy, AND an incredibly sad story. Just out of curiosity... do you think there is a point at which the cost of this war will become too high? Of course you probably think we'll "win" before that happens... But what if we don't?

     
  • At 21/3/06 11:26 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    That group you mentioned needs someone to kick their collective booties. Sicko's.

     
  • At 22/3/06 6:11 AM, Blogger Cody O'Connor said…

    I'm sure it will happen. There isn't a person in the school who doesn't know about this and is furious. I wouldn't be surprised if 800 people showed up to the memorial, and I wouldn't be surprised if 50 or so, get a litte violent. It's definetly deserved though.

     
  • At 22/3/06 10:53 AM, Blogger Rebekah said…

    Yeah, a little while ago, a Soldier from our community died in Iraq. I didn't know him, but knew people who did, or knew kids who went to school with his little sisters. The community put up "[Soldier's name], you're our hero" signs by the road, and filled up the funeral home and lined by the hundreds just to drive in the procession all the way across town to the military cemetary.

    Those jerks you mentioned have nothing to do with Christianity or Christians, and they're giving it a bad name. I think their health and welfare would have been seriously endangered if they'd have dared to show up here!

    Have you heard of The Patriot Guard Riders? They're a group of riders who've made it their mission to attend the funeral, as invited guests and shield the families of fallen soldiers from these scum without "counter-protesting".

    P.S: It's fine to get riled up every now and then! ;)

     
  • At 22/3/06 8:19 PM, Blogger PlaidBaron said…

    I've heard of this. It makes me sick to the stomach thinking about it.

     
  • At 23/3/06 7:47 AM, Blogger Cody O'Connor said…

    Rebekah said...
    "Have you heard of The Patriot Guard Riders? They're a group of riders who've made it their mission to attend the funeral, as invited guests and shield the families of fallen soldiers from these scum without "counter-protesting"."

    Yeah, I've heard of them, they'll be there too.

    BlueThorness said...
    "Hey guys! My husband served with SGT Corey Dan and he was actually his best friend when we first moved here."

    I'm honored to see you reading my blog. Well, since you (or at least your husband) actually knew Corey, can I ask you if there's anything about him you'd like me and my readers to know?

    "I think it's wonderful that you guys are honoring him by going to the memorial."

    Of course, it's the least we can do.

    "But just a heads up... as a military wife, I know A LOT about the Westboro "Baptist" Church. In honor of Corey, don't even say a word to these people. They go to military funerals, dishonoring our fallen heros, in an attempt to anger family members and friends to the point of taking out some form of aggression on them. Then they sue... and win. Yes, they deserve a good butt-kicking, but God (and Corey) will take care of that. Just go pay your respects to an incredible guy and let the Patriot Guard riders handle the protestors. "

    I imagined these would be the type of people who would sue and win in a case like this.

    Anyways, thanks for stopping by, and don't be a stranger.

     
  • At 25/3/06 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Just do not hold it against all Baptist.

    I don't think anyone will. Hopefully people know that these protesters don't represent normal Baptists.

     
  • At 25/3/06 3:54 PM, Blogger Cody O'Connor said…

    I went to the funeral today, it really was emotional, the things I saw. Outside there were literally hundreds of people all holding up American flags, and inside during the funeral, hundreds that knew and didn't know him payed their respects. Thankfully, the one thing I didn't see was those protestors, it was a no-show for them.

    By the way, I'm honored that so many friends and relatives of Sgt. Corey Dan have visited my blog. Thanks to all who have visited.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home